Current regulations

Image of regulations
  • Image of Energy Performance Certificate

    Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

    Under the European Union Energy Performance of Building Directive, it is a legal requirement in UK that every residential property have an EPC before it is marketed for letting from 1st October 2008. Landlords must by law provide Relo Redac Strattons with an EPC prior to marketing their property. A domestic energy assessor having inspected the property provides a report rating the energy efficiency on a scale of A-G with suggested recommendations. The EPC must be available to all prospective Tenants.

  • Image of Furnishings Fire Safety

    Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 as amended 1993

    This covers soft furnishings such as: mattresses, padded headboards, bed bases, armchairs, sofas, chairs, cushions etc. All furniture and furnishings must have a label attached and any items that do not comply must be removed and replaced. Please note you cannot get round the regulations by selling, giving or leaving furniture for the Tenants as this is still considered supply of goods. Non compliance is a criminal offence and could result in a fine, imprisonment, or both.

  • Image of Gas Safety

    The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

    Any person letting their property must ensure that all gas appliances and installation pipe work in that property are maintained in a safe condition to prevent risk of injury. All such appliances and pipe work must be checked annually by a registered GAS SAFE engineer (New regulations from 1st April 2009) and a certificate obtained. The Tenant must be given a copy of the certificate within 14 days. At the commencement of every new Tenancy each Tenant must be given a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate at the time they take occupation and under no circumstances will the Tenant be allowed occupation of the property by us without one.

  • Image of Electrical Equipment Safety

    Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

    Any person supplying electrical equipment must ensure that it is safe, will not cause danger and satisfies the requirements of the regulations. These require electrical equipment to be safe and constructed with good engineering practice. You are advised to have all electrics (wiring, plugs, sockets etc) and electrical appliances checked before the commencement of a Tenancy and regularly thereafter. According to Part P of the Building (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2004, any electrical work must be carried out by an electrician who is a member of a Government approved scheme. The electrician must provide the Landlord with an electrical safety certificate for the work carried out. A copy of the electrical safety certificate must be provided to the local authority.

    There are many more regulations that Landlords are required to comply with in order to let a property. We would highly recommend that you check with a legal expert to ensure compliance with current regulations before you begin marketing your property.